Sunday, October 2, 2011

A little grocery store adventure

Taking Elliott to the grocery store means a few new foods will come home. He is ever interested in trying something new or something we have not had in a long time. Today was no exception. Rutabagas, shrimp, a new shape of pasta, pepitas, a new frozen veggie mix, and strawberry cream pudding made their way to our cart. I am likely to say yes to most things, provided we needed something similar to it anyway. But I am known to cave on non-essentials too, even if I am not sure anyone will like it (uh, like the strawberry cream pudding). I will put a limit on how many new things from any given aisle though. For instance, today in produce he got to pick one fruit and one veggie.

Elliott was drawn to the rutabagas today since we last bought them months ago. I wanted to make soup, so I was glad to revisit them. Elliott introduced us to these over a year ago as his grocery store selection back then and was happy to watch how to prepare them and, when ready, eat them with his soup. So when he wanted to get jicama, I was willing to find out what it was and how to prepare it. Though I admit, because of placement, I assumed it was a fruit.



After this YouTube video, we figured out how to pronounce it, how to peel it, and what to do with it. And I am glad to see after a little Internet research, it can be served in fruit salads or treated as a veggie for soup or used in a "potato" salad, as in this recipe.

Anything exciting coming home with you from the store?

2 comments:

  1. jicama is good raw dipped in dressing, too. I bet it would taste good with hummus...

    I just finished grocery shopping, and it is pretty run of the mill. Kale (for kale chips) has become a staple, and I found sweet potato tater tots at our veggie stand today, which I'm excited to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noelle, thanks for reading and commenting :)

    I have wanted to try kale chips... but never got around to it. They sound good.

    We liked the jicama raw, not so much with lime. Taste and texture like a star fruit.

    ReplyDelete