Saturday, March 31, 2012

Oh, the good days

So some time has passed since I last posted. I am busy. Even now, I have a list of things to do. Winter clothing to sort and put away, shorts to dig out, shoes to try on boys, photos to sort, silk to dye for Etsy, things that need cleaned, food that needs cooked, and so on. I tend to wait for a really bad day or a really good day to post

And the past 24 hours have been so good. I thought it would be bad since I had interrupted sleep and I feel like most days I can barely muster enough energy for the basics.

Last night, when I picked up Elliott at school, he wowed me with his newly developed abilities, ones he has kept under wraps from Mike and me. He never reads at home with us, even easy reading books. But here sat Elliott, with a newly acquired Bread and Honey book from his cousin Shane, reading to his teacher and three friends at school. After speaking with the assistant, she explained he had read the book about four times during the day to various friends. They had assumed it was one he had been practicing at home with Mike and me, but I was thrilled to realize he had never seen the book before and just read through with such ease. Later, when he was reading to me, he came to a word he tried to sound out - between. I listened to him try various sounds out until he determined what it said. He articulated to me that he had tested all the sounds he knew (from phonogram work at school) until he found one that worked. The next time he saw the word, he did not hesitate in reading it. Not only did I see his natural reading progress happen they way I learned that it would in training, I had Elliott telling me how he was doing it with such understanding.

Right from there, I went to read to Oliver. I was singing our Wheels on the Bus book and he chimed in with me, picking key words to sing. He has never sung before. This mama’s heart was melting with happiness!

Then, this morning, I brought Elliott home from his sleepover at school. While on the highway we saw 6 hot air balloons. Knowing Mike was waiting on me to get home to get Oliver, we rushed home for him and immediately ran right back out to go on a hunt to see the balloons. I merely meant to drive by them so the boys could get a closer look. In speeding up a northern highway, we found them landing and followed roads to get there for a really up-close view. After a few minutes, the group, members of The Great Plains Balloon Club, invited us over to get a closer look, hear the ‘puffing’ of the fire, and even to climb in the basket. Oliver was not so keen on that, but they let Elliott stay in and lift off a few feet. After a bit more admiring, we got to watch how they collapsed the balloon and folded it up for transporting. A woman from this club gave the boys cards with balloons and their information. It made such an impression on both boys. All the way home Oliver kept studying the card, exclaiming ‘Balloons!” Elliott was full of questions and grand ideas on how to make his own balloon.

After that we tried to run errands, which did not work as planned, but we found a wounded butterfly outside. While people walked by, Elliott and Oliver were absorbed in watching and discussing the butterfly. We gave up on the errand and took the butterfly home to observe, figuring it would just die in the parking lot if left.

After so many discouraging days at work and so many nights with bad moods, it has been so pleasing to have so many good moments come together just right. Perhaps with such a burst into warm weather and plenty of outdoor time, there will be many more happier days ahead.

a wonky picture of Oliver and the balloon


their dog got a short balloon flight


watching it be collapsed

1 comment:

  1. What a great day! And is that a new profile pic on the side there? Lookin' good Diana! :)

    ReplyDelete